1) Question: In what ways were officials in nineteenth century Brazil threatened by capoeira, calling it a “dangerous criminal act?”
2) Your Argument/Answer: Officials during the nineteenth century Brazil viewed capoeira as a public menace and desired to extinguish it primarily because of their fear of disorder of the black slaves.
3) Three evidences to support thesis:
* D. Pedro II. Diario da viagem ao Norte do Brasil (1859), Salvador: 1959 (Portuguese)
* A guide to the history of Brazil 1500-1822
* The Criminalization of Capoeira in the Nineteenth-Century Brazil; By: Maya Talmon Chvaicer
Hispanic American Historical Review, 82:3, August 2002, pp. 525-547; Published by Duke University Press